Mars Iron Works, Ettingshall
The works were founded in
1866 by George Adams, who initially traded as George
Adams & Company, and later as George Adams & Sons
Limited. His working life began as manager at Rose,
Higgins & Rose of the Bradley Field Works, whose high
quality iron plates and sheets were well known for their
quality. In about 1857 he became manager at Wright &
North's Monmoor Works at Monmore Green, Wolverhampton.
Once there he greatly improved the quality of their iron
plates and sheets which also became well known as
The location of Mars Iron Works,
|Mars Iron Works produced iron sheets, hoops, plates,
bars, strips, rounds and squares, and corrugated sheets.
Many of their products were galvanised at the works, and
all were of the highest quality.
The latest machinery
was installed at the works and the most up-to-date
manufacturing techniques were used.
The factory used the best pig iron, which came from
the Earl of Dudley's works and Earl Granville's
Lilleshall Iron Works.
The raw material and finished goods were transported
along the Birmingham Canal Navigations, via the
factory's own wharf and basin.
Mars Iron Works in 1873.
An advert from 1913.
An advert from 1896.
An advert from 1902.
Britannia Boiler Tube
On the opposite side of the canal stood the Britannia
Boiler Tube Works, owned by Edwin Lewis and Sons.
The business was established in 1825 and produced a wide
range of iron tubes for gas, water, and steam boilers.
The railway companies must have been important customers
judging by the range of boiler tubes and signal rods.
The company was listed in the Wolverhampton Red Books
until the late 1920s.
An advert from 1884.
Britannia Boiler Tube Works. An
illustration from 1902.
|The lap-welded tube mill.
|The screwing shop.
Return to the Canals
and Industry Menu