The venture proved to be a success and by
1908 the capacity had been increased to around 6MW. The
following description from the 1908 Red Book includes a detailed
account of the equipment installed at the power station at the
The buildings at present consist of a main
generating station and three sub-stations. The system of supply
is continuous current distributed on the 3-wire system at a
pressure of 440 volts between the outer mains and a standard
pressure of 220 volts for the supply to consumers' premises. The
outlying portions of the town are supplied by motor transformers, the driving current
of which is applied at a pressure of 2,000 volts from the
generating station, and is transformed down to the standard
pressure of 220 volts.
The plant at the
consists at present of eight complete generating sets, as
One 200 B.H.P. Belliss two-crank high speed compound
condensing engine, direct coupled to a Parker two pole dynamo,
140 kilowatt, 2,000 volts. This generating set is used for
street lighting and for supplying current to the motor
transformers in the outlying parts of the borough.
Two 350 B.H.P. Belliss three-crank compound condensing engines, direct
coupled to Parker's dynamos, each 220 kilowatt, 550 volts.
460 B.H.P. Belliss three-crank triple expansion condensing
engine direct coupled to 300 kilowatt 550-volt E.C.C. generator.
Two 800 I.H.P. Willans three-crank compound condensing engines,
direct coupled to 500 kilowatt E.C.C. multipolar generators, 550
One Davey Paxman 800 I.H.P. three-crank compound
condensing engine, direct coupled to 500 kilowatt E.C.C.
multipolar generator, 550 volts.
One Bellis 800 B.H.P. 3-crank
triple expansion engine, direct coupled to 600 kilowatt 550-volt
generating sets are also
available either for electric lighting or tramway traction. The
five Belliss engines are arranged to exhaust into surface
condensers supplied by Joseph Evans and Sons, of Wolverhampton;
and the Meirlees Watson Company of Glasgow. The Willans engines
and the Davey Paxman engine each exhaust into a separate Ledward
ejector condenser, which is supplied with circulating water by
a Gwynne centrifugal pump, direct driven by a 20hp. Parker
The combined lighting and traction
switchboard was supplied by Thomas Parker, Limited, to the
design of the chief engineer.
The Boiler house contains six Lancashire
boilers, 30ft. by 8ft., and two "Economic" boilers, 14ft. 6in.
by 9ft. 9in., two economisers, and the necessary feed Pumps,
etc., and a water softening plant is in use. These boilers work at a pressure of 130lbs. per square
inch and have
a maximum duty of 2,000 gallons per hour.
The brick chimney is 115 feet in height,
and is of circular section throughout inside, and an induced
draught exhaust fan has been installed to improve the draught of
A large Battery Room has been built over
the present boiler house for the purpose of containing two
storage batteries, one of 260 Tudor cells for lighting purposes,
and one of 263 cells for tramway work.
An Auxiliary Station has been opened at the
Refuse Destructor, in Crown street, and the following plant
Two 125 Kilowatt multipolar shunt wound Parker
generators, coupled direct to two Belliss two-crank compound
enclosed 180 B.H.P. steam engines. The steam for driving these
engines is supplied from the refuse destructor.
A new generating station is now in the
course of construction at Commercial Road, especially designed
for the purpose of power supply for large consumers. The initial
equipment of this new station consists of two steam turbine
generating sets of 1,000 kilowatts capacity each. The turbines
being constructed by Williams and Robinson, of Rugby, and the
generators by the Electric Construction Company, Wolverhampton.
Current will be supplied from these generating sets at a
pressure of 6,000 volts alternating.
The boiler house equipment of the new
station will consist of two large water tube boilers, by Babcock
and Wilcox, of London, each boiler having an evaporative
capacity of 20,000lbs. of water per hour. The waste gases from
the boilers after passing through Green's economiser are
discharged into a Steel Chimney 175 feet in height, supplied and
erected by J. Thompson.
The extensions to the boiler house and
engine room were officially opened on 16th March,
1908 and increased the capacity to 6.4MW. The new buildings were
constructed by local builder H. Gough.