|New British cyclecars were built at Cradley Heath by
Charles Willetts & Son, lifting gear manufacturers,
based at Colonial Works, Overend Road. Initially two
prototypes were built, a 12hp. tourer, and an 8hp.
cyclecar. Willetts decided to put the 8hp. car into
production and kept the 12hp. model as the works
The new car was powered by a Blackburn 8hp.
'V' twin engine, and could be purchased with an
air-cooled or water-cooled version of the engine. The
open 2 seater had friction transmission and a chain
drive, and was produced in batches of six.
It was launched at the 1921 Motor Show, the cheaper
air-cooled version selling for £205, and the more
expensive water-cooled version selling for £215.
Initially sales were good. The car reappeared at the
1922 Motor Show, but by 1923 production had ceased. It
is thought that around 100 were made.
From the collection of the late
Return to the