Roper Motorcycles

Louis Shelley on his Roper motorcycle.

John Roper is listed in the 1902 Wolverhampton Red Book as a  manufacturer of cycle fittings in Dudley Road.

Between 1901 and 1905 he built a small number of motorcycles using the 'Roper' name. They were simple machines, with no gearbox, and a direct belt drive.

The business later moved to Upper Villiers Street, Wolverhampton.

In upper Villiers Street, Ropers specialised in precision engineering, producing gears, and cut-price parts for cars.

There was a workforce of 6, including three members of the Roper family.

The Roper factory in Upper Villiers Street.

Return to the List
of Manufacturers