||This machine is in Glynn Stockdale's collection at the
First Penny Farthing Museum, rear of 92 King Street, Knutsford, by whose
courtesy this photo appears here.
The machine was built about 1879, has a 52" wheel and weighs 45
lbs. It sports ivory handle grips.
Nothing else known about this maker at present.
|From an 1897 trade directory:
W. A Gorton, Manufacturer of the "Talbot" Cycles, Fern Road and
An instance of rapid, substantial, and well-deserved
prosperity in the cycle trade is furnished in the career of the
business of Mr. W. A. Gorton, maker of the well-known "Talbot"
Cycles. This gentleman commenced in Lord Street some years ago, but
the premises becoming too small for his expansive trade, he has
found it necessary to remove to more commodious ones in Fern Road
and Herrick Street. These are two distinct addresses. In Herrick
Street, the premises comprise machine shops for turning and
for mechanical work, plating and enamelling departments, etc.,
whilst at Fern Road are situated the erecting and finishing shops,
warehouse, and office. A considerable number of hands are employed
at each place, and the best facilities exist for turning out uniform
high-class work at most moderate prices. Mr. Gorton hopes to
combine his business under one address very shortly.
He enjoys the highest reputation for his productions in
ladies' and gentlemen's safeties, roadsters, racers, etc., juvenile
machines, tandems, and tricycles, the "Talbot" machines being
appreciated in the fullest degree as being sound and reliable,
speedy, elegant in design, and exhibiting superior workmanship. An
illustrated catalogue is issued each season, and exceptional
advantages are offered to the trade. The commercial connection
extends to all parts, is well organised, and the manner in which the
concern is being conducted from every standpoint, makes it sure to
predict for it continued prosperity.