|Wolverhampton-based motorcycle manufacturer Diamond, ceased
production in 1933 after a period of poor sales. The company
continued to exist for many years, after developing a completely
new and different range of products.
1931 motorcycle manufacturer A.J.S. went into voluntary
liquidation. At the time they made sidecars using the
'Graiseley' name. Walter Vincent Ford, Diamond's
managing director, was approached by Alec Holder, who had
worked for Clyno as a draughtsman, and Harold Nock, who later
acquired D.M.W. with the idea of acquiring the A.J.S. sidecar
business in order to manufacture sidecars and supply them to
existing A.J.S. customers. As a result, Diamond Motors purchased
the A.J.S. sidecar business, together with the 'Graiseley' trade
mark for £475, and continued to produce 'Graiseley' sidecars for
ex-A.J.S. customers, including Swallow.
In 1935 the business moved to the old Villiers foundry
building in Upper Villiers Street, Wolverhampton, and extended
the product range to include the 'Graiseley' pedestrian
controlled electric truck. It initially proved popular as a
cheap milk delivery vehicle, but then found uses in hospitals,
factories, and warehouses, where its fumeless, noiseless, and
economical operation, made it an ideal form of transport.