Side Valve Engines
During 1915 the Zulu was developed. It was identical to the Crusader, except that the bore was increased from 90mm to 100mm.
Aircraft Fitted with the Zulu
The Gurkha was developed at the same time as the Zulu and was intended as a replacement for the Mohawk. Unlike the Zulu however, most of the engines were ordered for new aircraft. The Gurkha was identical to the Mohawk except that the bore was increased from 90mm to 100 mm and the reduction gear was reduced from 2:1 to 1.86:1. This allowed the engine to develop 240h.p. at 2,000r.p.m. Production ended in October 1916, when the higher powered Cossack had been developed.
Aircraft Fitted with the Gurkha
A Ghurkha engine is preserved at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, in Yeovilton. It is the only surviving Sunbeam side-valve engine.