H. & T. VAUGHAN, STANDARD WORKS, WOOD STREET,
Henry, William and Thomas Vaughan were the sons of Able Vaughan, who
is listed as a lockmaker in the 1851 census, employing four men in
Russell Street, Willenhall.
Henry, aged 13, and William, aged 11, are both listed as
lockmakers, so they could have been two of their father’s
Henry and younger brother Thomas (born 1842)
joined together to form H & T Vaughan in, their literature says,1856, to
manufacture all types of locks. They eventually became one of the
largest lock makers in the Willenhall.
Willenhall Local Board approved plans for a works in Wood Street for
Henry on the 6th December 1869 and in 1872 they approved
plans for works in Union Street in Thomas’s name.
In 1879 they were one of four Willenhall lockmakers who protested
that American-made locks supplied to the Admiralty had mostly been
produced in Willenhall and had been supplied at higher prices than would
have charged by the makers.
|They were the first company in Willenhall to
develop the manufacture of a cylinder pin tumbler lock about
Their famous 04 lock was designed by Percy Bryan, who was
also responsible for sales and marketing. He eventually
would take over Albert Marston and Co. (q.v.). (Information
from Bill Williams 12/8/99).
of an H & T Vaughan key that was manufactured
for the Art Metal Construction Company, London,
that manufactured steel office furniture and
factory equipment. Courtesy of Phillip Collins.
In 1928, on the death of the then MD Joseph Starkey, the Vaughan
family decided to sell the business to the Yale and Towne Manufacturing
Co., who were based in the USA. They then became Yale and Towne
(qv) in Willenhall. (Information from Horace Davies, Willenhall
|The following is from County Biographies 1901,
County Magistrate Henry
Vaughan. President of the Wolverhampton Chamber of
Henry Vaughan, J.P., Millfield,
Willenhall. Son of the late Mr. Abel Vaughan. Born at
Willenhall, on January 2nd, 1838; educated at the old
Wolverhampton Grammar School; manufacturer, and sole
proprietor of the well-known firm of H. and T. Vaughan,
of Willenhall; commenced business on his own account in
1860, and is now the largest manufacturer of door locks
in the world; was appointed a Justice of the Peace in
1887, and in 1901 elected president of the Wolverhampton
Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Vaughan has travelled
extensively in foreign countries; he has visited all the
principal cities and towns of the United States of
America, and has also taken trips to Norway and Sweden;
he has been many times to Rome, and in 1867 had the
privilege of seeing the late Pope, Pius IX.. say High
Mass on Easter Sunday, an experience which nowadays must
be considered somewhat unique.
||Penny Street, of Vancouver, BC, has kindly provided this
photo of a rim lock on the bathroom door of a bach [a kind
of beach hut] on Great Barrier Island, New Zealand; and
notes: "Interesting logo".
Presumably the location
of this lock is an indication of Vaughan's exporting
WILLIAM VAUGHAN, WOOD STREET, WILLENHALL
||William (born 1840) was brother to Henry and
Thomas, the sons of Able Vaughan.
As the company
literature shows them as being founded in 1837, it could be that
William took over the lockmaking business of his father and
renamed it with his own name.
They manufactured mortice,
sash, and dead locks and latches. At 95 Wood Street in
1921. Existing in 1935 but no later reference (Kellys).
VULCAN MANUFACTURING (WOLVERHAMPTON) LTD, NEW GRIFFIN WORKS,
COLLIERY ROAD, WOLVERHAMPTON [DREADNOUGHT]
Joseph Waine & Co. Ltd, were general lock, latch & bolt makers, brass
& iron founders at Imperial Works, Wood Street, Willenhall. It seems
that the company would have been founded about 1850. (Note: this company
is not to be confused with John Waine and Sons (Willenhall) Ltd
of Brittannia Works, Lower Lichfield street, Willenhall. There is
no connection known between the companies).
An advert for garage bolts, date
|Joseph had three sons, John Vincent Waine, G. A.
Waine and Horace T. Waine. John Vincent Waine, and his
brother G. A. Waine, started the Vulcan Manufacturing Company at
Blackheath, Birmingham, in about 1910. The company
manufactured heel tips and toe plates in vast numbers; and also
" garage bolts, cabinet bolts, shelf brackets, aluminium door
and gate latches, casement stays and fasteners, hasps and
staples, hinges, brass and steel gate and tee, gutter brackets,
swivel ties, tinned angle brackets, rim, dead and mortice locks,
latches, padlocks, stamped brassware and household
soldering sets" The company developed a large overseas
In 1913 the Directors decided to move their three factories
to one site. In June a large disused works was purchased
in Colliery Road, Wolverhampton and the three factories were
combined under one roof and called the New Griffin Works.
|In 1928 Theo Waine and G. A.Waine took over the
Wearwell Cycle Co. Ltd. They made bicycles and, later,
motorbikes. They continued to develop the general
ironmongery side of the business, including locks and bolts.
Advert of unknown date.
Company letterhead of 1965.
In 1953 in the Wolverhampton
Official Handbook, they describe themselves as
Manufacturers of door bolts in japanned and galvanised
steel. Also brass, chromium-plated and special finishes,
stainless steel, garage bolts, cabinet bolts, shelf brackets,
aluminium door and gate latches, casement stays and fasteners, hasps
and staples, hinges, brass and steel gate and tee, gutter brackets,
swivel ties, tinned angle brackets, rim, dead and mortice locks and
latches, padlocks, stamped brass-foundry, household soldering sets,
cycle bells, boot heel and toe tips (steel).
The letterhead above shows separate trade marks
for heel tips, nails, locks and bolts.
In 1969 the Vulcan Manufacturing company went into voluntary
liquidation, and the goodwill was sold to Tippers, who were in the same
line of business. The Wearwell Cycle Co was also sold.
Note: all the images for this entry were
provided by Trevor Dowson, to whom we extend our thanks
Locks and Safes
the list of makers