|The Fellows family are believed to have had an ironworks
and a japanning factory in Bilston in the 1730s. Around 1800
the business moved to Pool Street Works, Pool Street,
Wolverhampton where James Fellows & Son produced trays.
1860, two of the founders' three sons, Samuel James and
Edgar Fellows joined forces and founded S. J. and E. Fellows
at Vulcan Works, Graiseley Row, Wolverhampton. Both businesses are listed in Jones's
Mercantile Directory for 1865 as follows:
The location of Vulcan Works. As it
was in 1885.
Vulcan Works in Graiseley Row. Courtesy of Dave Burk.
The company's trademark.
|The new business went from strength to strength and
produced all kinds of holloware, including marine floats and
buoys, milk churns and stoves. The company won a gold medal
in 1888 at an exhibition in Melbourne, Australia that
commemorated Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee.
Samuel James Fellows died at his
home, Compton Ferry, Wolverhampton, in March 1896. He
was elected a member of the Iron and
Steel Institute in 1889.
For some years the firm also had a
factory on the northern side of Graiseley Row, alongside
Pool Street, labelled Vulcan Works 2 on the map above.
It first appears on the 1901, 25 inch Ordnance Survey
|After the First World War the company began to produce
products for the catering industry, and in 1930, established
a company at Barry Dock in Glamorgan called Fellows Chamberlin
Limited, to produce domestic enamelled holloware.
Wolverhampton County Borough Directory of 1954 includes the
Fellows, S. J. & E. Limited, Stampers, Vulcan Works.
Kelly's Directory of
Wolverhampton for 1962 describes S. J. & E. Fellows Limited as a holloware manufacturer, elevator bucket
manufacturer, and producer of steel metal pressings in mild
stainless steel, and aluminium.
In the 1960s the company
rapidly expanded and had around 350 employees, but the
economic depression in the 1980s and 1990s resulted in many
An advert from 1938.
James Fellows & Son Limited became an associate company of S. J. & E.
(Holdings) Limited. As can be seen from the image above, which is from
the September 1977 catalogue.
An advert from 1951.
|In 1973 the firm became part of Centreway Securities.
Today the business is called Fellows Manufacturing and is
part of the Rical Group.
The firm is still on the same site, on the southern side
of Graiseley Row, where a wide range of products are
produced, including presswork, sheet metalwork fabrications,
high quality deep drawn presswork, progression and
conventional pressings for commercial catering equipment,
automotive parts, parts for the M.O.D., parts for the
electronics industry, and all types of fabrications through
to assembly, including powder coating, painting, plating,
Return to the