General Metal and Holloware
J. H. Butler seems to have been a sole trader. He is
known through some adverts which appeared in 1888; and from a coach
lantern bearing his plate. An entry in the 1914 Red Book, under
"Ironmongers", gives his address as both Bell Street and Victoria
Street. In the Red Books for 1920 and 1922 he is in Bell Street
only, as he is in 1930 when there is another advertisement, this time
for J. H. Butler Ltd.. This firm continues to appear in Red Books until
about 1970, after which there is no sign of it.
The four advertisements above all appeared in the 1888 Parish Almanack for Tettenhall and Tettenhall Wood. Perhaps Butler lived in Tettenhall or thought he was aiming at a richer clientele.