The Deanery that stood in Wulfruna Street, where the University is today.
Henry Hadfield Cubley specialised in Welsh and Scottish mountain landscapes, often romanticized and featuring highland cattle. The pictures shown here were used on some of Raphael Tuck's postcards.

He was born  around 1850 in Newark and grew up there. He painted many countryside scenes in what is now the West Midlands, including the paintings of Wolverhampton that are shown here.

He exhibited at the Birmingham Salon and also the Royal Academy and painted for Raphael Tuck & Sons who were publishers to Her Majesties the King and Queen and produced many postcards containing Wolverhampton scenes. The company had printing houses in London, Paris and New York.

Henry died in about 1930.

The old house on the corner of Victoria Street and John Street known locally as Lindy Lou's. The large building in shadow in the distance on the extreme right is the old Grammar School.
Looking across to the Feathers public house in North Street. Until the early years of the twentieth century much of the housing in North Street consisted of terraced cottages which were in a dilapidated state in their latter years.

The entry in the 1902 Wolverhampton Red book records that the licensee was
J. W. Howley.

A fine view of old Peel Street, presumably at the junction of Salop Street.
The view looking north westwards towards Chapel Ash. St. Mark's Church can be seen in the middle distance.
St. Peter's Church from the old market square.
The copies of the first three paintings and the information on the artist were kindly supplied by Norman Keech.

Return to the
art gallery