The school was originally in Wednesbury, and founded by the Wednesbury School Board. On 1st April, 1966, King's Hill became part of Walsall Metropolitan Borough, as did Darlaston, under the terms of the Local Government Reform Act.

In 1888 the Wednesbury School Board built King's Hill School in Old Park Road, as a replacement for the Old Park British School which was closed by the Patent Shaft & Axletree Company. The new school catered for 733 children, 317 boys, 209 girls, and 207 infants. There were ten classrooms, four for the boys, three for the girls, and three for the infants. There was also a larger room, separated from one of the boys' classrooms, and one of the girls' classrooms by moveable glass partitions, which allowed the room to be extended for assemblies and meetings. There were separate cloak rooms and toilet facilities for the boys and girls, and a staff room. The school was built and furnished at a cost of £8,820.

The official opening took place on Monday 9th January, 1888. The building was officially opened by James Slater, the chairman of the School Board. After the ceremony a tea was provided for the pupils, followed by a magic lantern show given by the Rev. J. Wilkinson, vicar of All Saints' Church, Darlaston. In the evening Mr. Slater gave a speech to a large gathering of parents and friends in the large room at the school, which was followed by a concert.

The staff in 1888 were:

Boys' department    
Head Master   Mr. S. Tranter
Assistant Masters   Mr. H. Davies
    Mr. H. H. Middleton
Pupil Teachers   Mr. R. H. Parsons
    Mr. F. Norton
    Mr. F. Whittingham
    Mr. W. H. Griffiths
Girls' Department    
Head Mistress   Miss A. Chumbley
Assistant Mistresses   Miss F. H. Austin
    Miss A. E. Ellis
Pupil Teacher   Miss E. Wood
Monitresses   Miss M. Morgan
    Miss E. Hall

In 1909 the senior members of staff were as follows:

     Mr. S. Tranter - Head Master, Miss M. Dunn - Head Mistress, and Miss L. Davies in charge of the infants.

In the late 1920s and early 1930s, several government reports were produced by a number of committees, under the chairmanship of Sir William Henry Hadow. They became known as the Hadow Reports, and had a great impact on education at the time. The reports recommended a division of elementary schools, into primary schools for children under the age of 11, and senior schools for older children. This necessitated the building of many new schools, including King's Hill Secondary Modern School, on the other side of Old Park Road. It had accommodation for 800 children. The old school then became King's Hill Primary School.

It remained as such until another reorganisation of education in the area led to the closure of King's Hill Secondary Modern School, and the transfer of the old primary school into the newer Secondary Modern Building. King's Hill Secondary Modern then became King's Hill Primary School, and the old school closed.

Unfortunately after several years of dereliction, the old building was the victim of a mindless arson attack, which destroyed much of the school. As a result it was demolished, early in 1992.

The following photographs were taken by Ian Bott, who kindly lent them to me via Tony Highfield.

The front of the old school, which stood on the western side of Old Park Road, opposite the existing school.

Beyond the school on the right is Joynson Street.

Another view of the front of the school, also taken in the evening.

On the left is Joynson Street.

A view from the opposite direction after closure, when most of the windows were boarded-up.


Two views of the tower.

The playground at the back.

Another view of the playground.

The back of the school.

A view of the school from Joynson Street.

Another view looking across Joynson Street.


The separate entrances for girls and boys.

Fighting the fire in 1992.

Another view of the firemen in action.

Water is sprayed onto the ruined building.
After the fire, the ruined building was left in a dangerous state, and had to be demolished.

The photograph on the left was taken during demolition.

Return to the
previous page