Bob Smith's Favourite House,
and the M.E.C. building
Favourite House was once
the headquarters of a well-known local entrepreneur, the
late Bob Smith. His Church Street shop was used by most of
the local population. When he retired in 1955, it was taken
over by Page's Electric Limited. The business was there for
many years and like its predecessor, became well known
throughout the town.
The building was then converted into flats, which were
occupied until a few years ago.
Next door was the old electricity sub-station, built in
1906 for the Midland Electric Corporation, which was founded
in 1897 to distribute electricity over much of the Black
Country. Sub-stations were built at Bilston, Brierley Hill,
Darlaston, Old Hill, Tipton and Wednesbury.
In November and December 2016, Favourite House, and the sub-station
were demolished to make way for a block of apartments.