Number 35 King Street.

Grade II listed building, listed on 16th November, 1976. An early to mid 19th century brick and partly painted shop and house with a slate roof. The shop front dates from around 1900 and above is a sash window with glazing bars. The right hand return wall has three bays. The two on the right-hand side are unpainted and canted back. The ground floor windows have lintels with horizontal reeding, paterae, and bracketed cornices, and the middle window has external timber shutters. The first floor sash windows have glazing bars. The door in the right hand bay has six panels and the doorcase has a reeded surround.

It is believed to have been a private house until the 1880s. By 1888 it was a grocer's shop occupied by James Harris and later a tobacconist's shop run by Richard Billingsley. The tobacconist's was run by the Billingsley family for over 70 years and then became Winestores Limited, a wine shop which remained there until a few years ago.

Return to the
previous page