The mighty "candlestick".

The company celebrated its achievement by the erection of a forty foot high cast-iron column with a gas lantern at the top. It was built in High Green in 1821. 

The names of the committee responsible for its cost were inscribed on the base. They were R. Fryer, T. Savage, T. Timmins, T.H. Ward, J. Heape, P. Deakin and W. Parkes. 

The light was a disaster. It was too high from the ground to throw sufficient light and the structure was laughed at and called the mighty "candlestick", which it closely resembled. By 1826 the pillar and the surrounding area had become a rendezvous for the local layabouts and degenerates and as such had become a public nuisance. 

Some expense would be incurred for its demolition and so it remained there until 1840 when the Commissioners and the Gas Company approved its removal.

A more noteworthy event happened in 1824 when a new balloon ascended from the gas works in Horseley Fields. This was to be the first of several balloon flights that were made using locally produced gas. The gas produced in different localities at the time had slightly different properties and Wolverhampton gas was known for its "lightness" and so was an ideal choice for balloonists. Mr. Green was a well known balloonists who had made several ascents in the Midlands but had never flown from Wolverhampton. Such a flight was an expensive affair and so he decided to arrange a flight from Wolverhampton on the understanding that any spectators would have to pay to watch the event to reduce the cost. A subscription was guaranteed and the flight was arranged for 17th September. For a fee of 2 shillings a spectator could watch the entire event from the Union Mill yard, that overlooked the gasworks. Although cloudy it was a fine day and large numbers of people gathered in the town, which had never been so full. People watched from every corner including the top of St. Peter’s Church tower. The spectators in Union Mill yard saw the whole event including the inflation of the magnificent Coronation balloon. Guns were fired to mark various stages of the process but it was still unclear if Mr. Green would be flying alone. 
A fine example of lighting from Darlington Street.
This question was answered at 4.50 p.m. when Mr. Edward Clarke, a Wolverhampton iron founder joined Mr. Green in the balloon. The National Anthem was played and the balloon ascended for about a mile before safely landing on Dunston Heath, near Penkridge. The flight covered a distance of twelve miles and was a great success for all concerned.

Return to Gas Arrives Return to the beginning Proceed to more gas