The Horseley Fields frontage.

For nearly two hundred years, the Little Swan public house was a familiar landmark in both Horseley Fields and Pipers Row, dating from the early years of the nineteenth century.

In Pigot & Company's Staffordshire Directory for 1828 to 29, the landlord is listed as Thomas Dean. In 1851 the landlord was Benjamin Mortiboy.

The pub stood on the main road to Willenhall and Walsall, and so for many years in the nineteenth century, local carriers transported goods and packages from the pub to one or other of the towns.

One of the carriers, Smith, Wilkinson & Company, transported goods to Walsall on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, and another, run by Mr. Cox, transported items daily to Willenhall.

The pub had a large paved yard which opened onto Pipers Row. It had a coach house, two stables, a malt room, and brewery,  so at one time the pub must have brewed its own beer.

The location.

On 1st September, 1919 the pub was sold by its owner, Mr. F. S. Hooper, at an auction held in the Star & Garter Hotel. The photographs on this page are from the sale brochure.

The pub had two large cellars, a large bar stretching between the Pipers Row entrance, and entrance into Horseley Fields. It also had a snug, a smoke room, and a kitchen, with a range and larder.

There were four bedrooms on the first floor, along with a sitting room, a large club room, a bathroom, and a toilet. The second floor contained two bedrooms, and a clothes closet.

The large paved yard, entered by a double gateway from Pipers Row, was surrounded by several two storey buildings, containing a brewery, two stables, a coach house, a coal house, and a malt room with a storeroom above.

The pub survived until 1990, when the remaining buildings in Pipers Row, and at the western end of Horseley Fields, were demolished.

The site is now occupied by the bus station.

Plan of the ground floor.

The Pipers Row frontage.

The main bar.

Return to the
previous page