Hall itself stood west of Pendeford Hall Lane where the caravan
park is presently sited.
In 1666 the hall had eight hearths and was rebuilt four years
later, using the local sandstone, as a two-storeyed, double
depth building in a semi-classical style.
It had a south facade of five bays with a pedimented
doorway in the middle, and Dutch gables. The date of the
rebuilding, 1670, was over the main door.
estate passed down through the Fowler family, from father to
son, for another century and then through various branches of
the family for almost four centuries altogether.
The family arms were carved over the fireplace in the
dining room. A
William Fowler was a surveyor and cartographer, making maps,
including one of Oxley Farm, in the mid seventeenth century.
Richard Fowler was Sheriff of Staffordshire in 1738 and Thomas
Leversage-Fowler was High Sheriff of the County in 1788.
After his death in 1815, Thomas was succeeded by his son
Thomas who died unmarried.
Pendeford Hall in the early 19th
estate passed to his brother Richard, who had assumed the name
Butler. Richard Fowler-Butler was a JP for Staffordshire, had served
in the Peninsular War and had fought at Waterloo.
Robert Henry Fowler-Butler, who succeeded to the estate in 1865,
sold about 160 acres of land lying south and east of Pendeford
Farm to Wolverhampton Corporation so that the sewerage farm at
Barnhurst could be extended.
Robert Henry later became a major-general and his son,
Lieutenant Colonel Richard Fowler-Butler, died in 1931 leaving a
widow Caroline Anne who sold the rest of the estate to the
Corporation in 1935.
The Hall was requisitioned during the Second World War.
It was partly demolished in 1953 and
demolition completed in 1968. The
site is presently occupied by the Pendeford Hall Residential
notable visitors to the hall, the historian Stebbing Shaw noted
that it contained an excellent cartulary (collection of records)
relating to the manor and the priory of St, Thomas's while
William Pitt noted an echo which seemed to reverberate off the
front of the house.
portion of the curving stonework of the entrance gateway
survives in Pendeford Hall Lane as do several tall pine trees,
visible from many parts of Pendeford.
The Great Western Railway had a locomotive named
after the hall.
Built at Swindon Works in 1929, no. 4951, Pendeford Hall was one
of a class of over 300 2 cylinder 4-6-0s, built with six foot
driving wheels for general purpose express duties.
It was withdrawn from service in the 1960s.