Penn Cricket Club has been in the news in 2014 after receiving a £50,000 grant from the National Lottery Fund to improve the facilities on the Mount Road ground. A new pavilion will be built with a bar and conferencing facilities, a multi-use room and kitchens.

The club was founded in 1908 by members of St. Bart’s Church, and at that time played on Penn Common. The first club president was the Rev. O. A. Holden, and the team captain was ‘Billy’ Boon.

There were complications, because Penn Common was also a golf course, then run by the newly formed Penn Golf Club (previously the home of the South Staffordshire Golf Club which moved to Tettenhall in 1908) and so the cricket club moved to a piece of land on the corner of Muchall Road and Penn Road. The opening of the ground was celebrated by a game between Penn Cricket Club and Wolverhampton Cricket Club. The team captains were H. D. Stratton for Penn, and Raymond C. Page for Wolverhampton.

Cricket ceased during the First World War, and the club temporarily closed. It was reformed in 1919 and continued to use the ground for about two years, when the land was sold to build houses.

Luckily the club was allowed to use a piece of land alongside Pinfold Lane that belonged to George Mason, who owned around 500 grocery shops and lived at the Woodlands, Penn Road. The club remained on the site until 1934 when Mr. Mason died. After his death on 22nd August, the land was sold to build the houses that are in Regent Road and Canterbury Road.

Once again the club was homeless, but help was at hand in the form of Mr. Alan Twentyman, who in 1935 kindly donated a piece of land in Mount Road, where the club still resides today.

The Twentyman family continued to be involved with the club. For many years the club president had been the Rev. Edgar Hartill. On his retirement in 1948 the late Mrs. E. B. Twentyman of Muchall Hall took over.

Today the club continues to be successful, providing facilities for any able person from around the age of seven upwards. There are games in the summer, and winter nets and coaching.

The ground in 2013.

Return to the
previous page