The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army has important links
with the town. In the mid 1860s William Booth, later General
Booth lived for a time at 5 Hatherton Street with his wife
and son. He ran a mission in the town and formed the
Hallelujah Band of Reformed Reprobates. Due to his
activities in 1865, a hall was built in what later became
Revival Street in Bloxwich. By the late 1890s the hall,
known as the Revival Chapel was used by the Salvation Army.
A barracks opened in Clarendon Street, Bloxwich in 1901 and
remained in use until 1907 when the Salvationists moved to
the former Gospel Mission Hall in Pinfold, Bloxwich.
The Walsall Corps was formed in 1882
and from 1883 was based in a barracks at the skating rink in
Hatherton Street. In 1902 a barracks and school was opened
in Green Lane, which is still in use today. In the 1930s
and 1940s the Salvation Army also had premises in West
Many Catholics were holding meetings in
Walsall before the Catholic emancipation that was brought
about because of the Catholic Relief Act of 1829, which
removed most of the restrictions on Roman Catholic worship
in the United Kingdom. They were supported by a number of
prominent Walsall families including the Birch family of
Goscote, the Mountforts of Bescot Hall, and the Purcell
family of Yieldfields Hall.
Around 1800 a shop in Harden Road,
Bloxwich included a chapel, which was enlarged in 1808, and
by 1819 had a congregation of around 300. It was dedicated
to Saint Thomas, and continued in use until 1869 when St.
Peter’s Church opened in Bloxwich High Street. It was
designed by Bucknall & Donnelly of Birmingham, and built of
brick and Bath stone. The building consists of a nave with a
clerestory and aisles, an apsidal sanctuary, and a
presbytery. In 1952 to 1954 an extension was built into High
Street which included a new façade and two towers. It was
designed by Jennings, Homer & Lynch of Brierley Hill.