The Borough Council, and Public Transport

The Borough Council, its staff and committees

The borough had 5 wards, each with 3 council members. There were also 5 aldermen, making 20 council members in all. The wards were as follows:

Town Ward, King’s Hill Ward, Manor Ward, Wood Green Ward, and Mesty Croft Ward.

The council’s affairs were conducted by a number of committees:

The Allotments Committee
The Art Gallery and Library Committee
The Baths Committee
The Establishment Committee
The Finance Committee
The General Purposes Committee
The Highways Committee
The Markets and Public Works Committee
The Housing Committee
The Parks and Cemeteries Committee
The Playing Fields Committee
The Public Health Committee
The Town Planning Committee

Corporation officials included:

George Frederick Thompson, Town Clerk, Solicitor to the Corporation, Electoral Registration Officer, and Mayor’s Secretary
A. W. Ewart, Borough Engineer and Surveyor
J. S. Hodges, Borough Treasurer
H. A. H. Summers, Medical Officer of Health
F. J. Turner, Chief Public Health Inspector
R. L. Highfield, Housing Manager
A. J. Crowe, Borough Librarian
S. Dixon, Baths Superintendent
A. E. Rhodes, Parks and Cemeteries Superintendent

The town was policed by the Wednesbury Police Division of the Staffordshire County Constabulary, which included Darlaston and Tipton. The police station in Holyhead Road was next to the Court House, where the Borough Magistrates sat every Friday.

The town had over 30 acres of allotments, under the control of the Parks Department. There were also several privately owned allotment sites.

The Town Hall and Art Gallery.


The Woods Estate.

By the late 1950s the council had built nearly 5,000 houses and had plans for over 1,000 more.

Since 1945 around 1,800 council houses and old people's bungalows had been built.

The council also lent money under the terms of the Small Dwellings Acquisition Acts to anyone wishing to build, or purchase houses in the borough.

The pre Second World War council housing estates were at:

Churchfields, Crankhall Lane, Dangerfield Lane, Fallings Heath, Manor Farm, Mesty Croft, Moxley, Myvod Road and Park Lane, and Wood Green.

The post war estates were at:

Crew Road, Dangerfield Lane (Lodge Holes), Dingley Road, Friar Park, the Golf Course, Mesty Croft, Millfields, and Park Lane and Old Park Road.

Millfields Estate.

Public Transport

Public transport was well catered for thanks to train services between Wolverhampton and Birmingham, and Walsall to Dudley. The London Midland Region station linked the town directly with Walsall to the north, and stations from Dudley Port, to Worcester in the south. The Western Region linked the town to Wolverhampton, Shrewsbury, and Birkenhead in the north, and Birmingham in the south.

An advert from 1957.

There were also frequent bus services, operated by Birmingham, Walsall, West Bromwich, and Wolverhampton corporations, and the Midland Red. Popular bus routes included:

Routes 37 and 38. A circular route from Walsall to Wednesbury, Darlaston, and back to Walsall.

Routes 265 and 865. Stafford to Dudley via Cannock, Walsall, Wednesbury, and Tipton.

Routes 10 and 11. Starting at Ridding Lane, and travelling to West Bromwich via Mesty Croft, Crankhall Lane, and Friar Park.

Route 31. Starting at Ridding Lane, and travelling to West Bromwich via Hydes Road, and Moorlands Estate.

Route 75. Starting at the White Horse in Bridge Street, and travelling to West Bromwich, and Birmingham.

Route 90. Travelling from West Bromwich to Wolverhampton, via Wednesbury and Bilston.

Midland Red buses ran from the High Bullen to Bilston, Dudley, Cradley Heath, Brierley Hill, Sedgley, Stourbridge, Walsall, and James Bridge.

Wood Green.

Return to
the contents
  Proceed to Things
To See And Do