In 1928 around 400 acres of land in the Borough were derelict as a result of the many coal mines that covered the area. There were large pit mounds, deep hollows, pools, and flooded mine workings, which were on too large a scale to be tackled by private builders. It involved land reclamation on a grand scale, but used the minimum amount of machinery. Most of the work was carried out by hundreds of unemployed men who worked long hours to make the land useable.

Reclamation of a mining area near Old Park Road.

In Dangerfield Lane and Old Park Road 50 acres of land were reclaimed, which involved the removal of around 250,000 tons of pit mound spoil, and the levelling of the land. The difference in height between the pit mounds and the hollows was around 70 feet.
Removing an old pit mound near Park Lane, known by the workmen as "Heartbreak Hill".

After reclamation the land was allowed to settle before building work began. The houses were built in pairs on reinforced concrete rafts to overcome subsidence. In order to improve the surroundings, the new roads were wide, and tree-lined with generous grass verges. Garden space was provided at the front and back of each house, which was set back around 20 feet from the road. The housing density was around 12 houses per acre, and housing styles were slightly changed to give variety and interest to the estate. Houses were grouped in blocks of 2, 4, or 6, and amenities such as shops, schools, playing fields, recreation grounds, allotments, community halls, welfare centres, and bowling greens were provided.

Return to
  Return to
the contents
  Proceed to