A fine view of the deserted Market Place, possibly taken on a Sunday morning.

A postcard produced by Ryder & Son showing a fine view of the Conservative Club in Walsall Street. The club was founded in 1886, and the above premises built in 1904.

A view of the Conservative Club from around 1920.

A fine wartime view of Wednesbury Public Library in Walsall Street taken in 1940. The library was built in 1907-8 at a cost of £7,000, the majority of which (£5,636) was donated by the Andrew Carnegie Trust. The building is now Grade II Listed.
Next to the Public Library, which is on the left, is Hollies Drive, which led to a large house called The Hollies. The well-known actor Richard Wattis, remembered for his part as Mr. Brown in the television series Sykes, and for his many film roles, was born at number 11 Hollies Drive on 25th February, 1912.
A tram stands at the terminus on Holyhead Road, next to The White Horse pub, about to set-off for West Bromwich and Birmingham. The terminus was known locally as The White Horse. On the left at the bottom of Lower High Street is Lloyds Bank.
The Great Western Hotel on the corner of Potters Lane and Great Western Street is named after the nearby Great Western Railway and railway station.
The Richards Room in the Art Gallery houses some of the paintings from Edwin Richards' vast collection. He was an industrialist who ran Edwin Richards & Sons, one of Wednesbury’s longest surviving manufacturers. The firm produced forgings for over 150 years at Portway Works in New Street, at the junction with Potter’s Lane, and specialised in patent axles and coach springs.

The Art Gallery was built as a result of the bequest left by Mary Richards, Edwin's widow who died in 1885. She left the collection of paintings to the town, most of which were by contemporary English artists. There were also several landscapes by Dutch and Flemish masters.

The Park Lodge and entrance to Brunswick Park which opened on 21st June, 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. The park, designed by Barron & Son of Derby was built on land purchased from the Patent Shaft and Axletree Company for £3,000.
Brunswick Park Lake, known as Barron's Pool after the park's designers, was a popular attraction. The park, which covers 28 acres cost £6,000, including the purchase of the land.
An early 20th century view of King's Hill looking northwards towards Darlaston. On the right is St. Andrew's Church, designed by the Joynson brothers, and consecrated on 28th April, 1894. It was built as a replacement for the old mission schoolroom. On the far right is the entrance to King's Hill Park which opened in 1900, and is built on the site of old coal mine workings and spoil heaps.

Another, and later view of King's Hill, from around 1950.

A postcard produced locally by Ryder & Son showing a view of Wood Green looking towards Bescot with St. Paul's Church on the right. A tram can be seen making its way from Walsall to Wednesbury.
A view of the BCN's Monway Branch and the extensive works of the Patent Shaft and Axletree Company, from around 1900.
Looking westwards along the Tame Valley Canal from Crankhall Bridge in the early years of the 20th century. A view which is greatly changed today.

This view from 1913 shows wives and children of strikers, queuing for bread during the tube-maker's strike. The strike began in May 1913 at the Old Tube Works of John Russell & Company and spread throughout the Black Country to all the iron trades. The strikers demanded a minimum weekly wage of 23 shillings to bring them in line with Birmingham worker's pay. The strike continued until July and caused great hardship. The strikers lost £250,000 in wages before the employers conceded to their demand.

Return to the
previous page
  Return to the
Wednesbury Menu