This advert from 1902 includes a fine drawing of the building that was on the corner of Snow Hill and Cleveland Street. It was demolished to make way for the Wulfrun Centre.

C.D. Nokes stocked of all types of household furniture including good fumed-oak bedroom suites.

Chubbs were our most famous lock and safe maker and this advert from 1902 lists some of the company's most prestigious customers:

Made by appointment to His Majesty the King, also His Majesty's Government, the Bank of England, the Royal Mint and principal British and Colonial banks.

The photograph shows a scene that has hardly changed and includes some of the company's employees.

The advert also states that Chubbs had won 78 gold and other medals for their armour plate strong rooms at international exhibitions including:
The Grand Prix Antwerp Exhibition of 1894, the Grand Prix Brussels Exhibition of 1897 and the Grand Prix Paris Exhibition of 1900.

This advert from 1914 includes a fine view of Dudley Street, which is very different to what is there today.

A view of an old style shop in Darlington Street in 1902. Like the photograph in the previous advert it gives an impression of how shops have changed over the last century.
Warner's shop in Chapel Ash in 1902. Warner's were in Chapel Ash until a few years ago when the business moved to Bilston.

The shop became Wolverhampton's main supplier of professional photographic equipment and was well known to anyone that was interested in photography.

For many years Warners had two shops in Chapel Ash within a few yards of each other.

A view from 1902 of Leicester Square in Newhampton Road
East that has hardly changed in 100 years.

The following adverts from 1902 show the interior of Wolverhampton Steam Laundry that used to be in Sweetman Street. It was the country's largest laundry outside London and opened in 1890 employing just 25 people. By the mid 1930s the company employed about 300 people and used the most up-to-date equipment of the day.
All kinds of clothes were cleaned along with household furnishings and carpets. A "Kleena" cleaning plant had been installed by the 1930s to handle the dry cleaning, and the carpet cleaning department had the first carpet beating machine in Wolverhampton. The laundry served a sizeable area including Stafford, Newport, Wellington, Much Wenlock, Bridgnorth, Birmingham and Hednesford using a large fleet of vans.

Return to the
previous page
Return to old
and images