Rails In Wolverhampton - The Early Years

by Bev Parker


Wolverhampton's Temporary Station

The Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway was forced to build a temporary station in Wolverhampton because work was still in progress on Queen Street station (High Level) and the Stour Valley Line. Some confusion has occurred over the years as to the location of this building, many people have speculated that it was situated on the Stafford Road site. In reality the station located there was only for goods, the railway company needed a site that was much closer to the town centre. The station was built between the railway line and the Union Inn on Wednesfield Road,
by the side of what is now Broad Street Basin.

station.jpg (18848 bytes)
The temporary station can just be seen to the left of, and behind the Union Inn. This photograph was taken in 1974, just before its demolition.
It was designed by Edward Banks and built by William Jarrow of Leicester at a cost of £380.

A single platform was built on top of the embankment, and the station was accessed via a walkway down the embankment. A loading area, possibly for carriages was reached via two tracks at the rear of the building.

The contract for the construction of Queen Street station was placed in July 1849 and the temporary station opened on 12th November of that year.

Work on Queen Street station was delayed because a decision was made to divert the canal.

The temporary station was in use until the opening of Queen Street station on 24th June 1852, and in December of that year it was let to a Sabbath School.

It was later sold to the Shropshire Union Canal Company for use as a stable block and
general storehouse.

It was demolished in the mid 1970's at the same time as the Union Inn, when Broad Street Basin was redeveloped during the building of the
ring road.

map.JPG (29777 bytes)
The location of the temporary station was by the side of the embankment on Wednesfield Road.

Return to the
previous page