CARTWRIGHT STREET (off Dudley Road)
Presumably named after Sydney Cartwright whose firm,
Evans and Cartwright, makers of doll's house furniture, had its factory
immediately opposite the Dudley Road end of this street.
CASTLE STREET (City Centre)
The Castle Inn was situated on the west side of Dudley Street with land
and gardens at the rear through to London Row. It had stabling
for forty horses for those using its 14 bedrooms. Castle Street, built
on this land, is shown in the 1827 map linking the rear of the Castle
Inn with what had now become Piper’s Row.
CHEAPSIDE (City Centre)
This is a common name, found in many towns. It simply means
"the side of the market".
Presumably this road was given this name as part of the reorganisation
of this whole area in the late 19th century.
CHURCH ROAD, CHURCH WALK (Penn Fields)
Church Road was constructed in 1863 by the Vicar and Church Wardens of St
Philips Church, the work having been let by contract to Mr Charles
Crump, who was the Surveyor of Public Highways to the Parish of Penn.
The purpose was to gain access to the Church Day School. This was sited
on the opposite side of the road from Victoria Road.
Church Walk is shown on the 1885 map as a track running through two
fields, Near Slang and Lower Slang from Birches Barn Road, (which
was then called Stubbs Lane) to Church Road. It is thought that
it was part of the path from Birches Barn farm to Penn and St
CLEVELAND ROAD, CLEVELAND STREET, CLEVELAND PASSAGE, City Centre
Cleveland Street was developed from 1828, followed by Cleveland Road,
creating a through route from the west ot Bilston Road without having to
negotiate the narrow streets in the middle of the town. It was not
the Town Commissioners who developed the route but the Duke of
Cleveland, the former Lord Darlington. Hence the name.
COALWAY ROAD AND GOLDTHORN HILL (Upper Penn)
Goldthorn Hill is referred to as Gawthorne or Gowthorne in 1647 and the
cross roads with the Penn Road was until recently called Cold Lanes.
The name on Bowen’s map of 1749 is Goldthorne.
Coalway Road has uncertain origins. In the Survey of Over and Nether Penn
in 1647 it is spelt ‘Coolway’ and ‘Coleway’. The belief that it had
something to do with moving coal from Bilston to the late 18th
century canal at Dimmingsdale is therefore wide of the mark.
Albert Watkins, the author of ‘The Long Straight Track’ claimed that a
network of tracks connected features of importance as way markers along
high ground in a land that was deeply forested and marshy.
The Celtic word ‘Coel’ refers to a magical place. The road leads from
Bilston in a line to Pattingham and ultimately to Wenlock Abbey.
The really ancient names in Penn are Celtic. Penn a hill. Lightwood a
slope. So ‘Coelway’, an ancient track linking high ground and mystical
places is an attractive idea.
The Penn Tithe map of 1842 names it as Coalway Lane.
COLLIERY ROAD, Stow Heath
Named after the Old Heath Colliery over which the road was built in
According to John Freeman's
Black Country Stories and Sketches, the names derives from the huts in
which fighting cocks were kept: the Cocks Hutts. The road is not
far from the cross roads still known after the pub which stood there,
the Fighting Cocks.
An alternative suggestion
might be that the name arose from the cock shutt. A shutt is a
name for a strip in one of the old open fields and the cock shut would
have been one at the head of the field. But there is more evidence
for cock fighting in the area than there is for open field agriculture
or for the use of "shutt" locally.
COXSWELL AVENUE, GLAISHER DRIVE,
MAMMOTH DRIVE, Science Park, Stafford Road
These are the three roads which serve
the Science Park. The Park is built on the site of the old
Wolverhampton Gas Works which produced a very might gas which was often
used by balloonists. The roads are named after Henry Coxswell and
James Glaisher who, on 5th September 1862, rose from this site to a
height of c.30,000 feet, then a world altitude without oxygen (they
passed out and nearly died). After some research it was found that
the balloon was called Mammoth.