EAGLE STREET (Penn Fields)
Said to be named after a Mr. Eagle who owned the land
and developed the area. A large house, Eagle House, stood where a
block of flats, Eagle Court, now stands. Eagle House was once occupied
by the Meynell family, who were the owners of Meynell Valves. And so it
was the birth place of the prolific novelist, Laurence Meynell.
The street was also home to Bennett Clark, the most famous of the local
photographers. His house lay between Poplar Street and Chequer
Street but is now demolished.
(Phil Beards and Frank Sharman)
EAGLE STREET (Monmore Green)
The 1902 OS Map shows small terraced housing on the
southern end of this street, possibly indicating a similar date to that
of Eagle Street, Penn Fields, though the houses seem to have been of
much smaller size. Somewhere nearby, but fronting the canal and
not this street, was the large company, the Eagle Edge Tool Company.
There must be some connection between the company and this street.
There is also an Eagle Works in Brickkiln Street. It is not known
whether there was any connection between these streets, the works, the
company and Mr. Eagle.
This road is named after Elmsdale Hall, a very large
gentleman's residence, occupied by, amongst others, Sir John Morris and
Colonel Henry Loveridge. The hall, which is still in existence as
a block of flats, lies to the north of this road which may have been
built on part of the estate but certainly not on the grounds of the
Elmsdale Hall changed its name for some years, whilst it
was a residential home, to Viewlands and then reverted to Elmsdale when
it was converted into flats. The modern block of flats, higher up
Wightwick Bank, called Viewlands, is built on land which was not in the
grounds of Elmsdale and probably not even in the estate.
ETTINGSHALL PARK FARM LANE, Ettingshall Park
This lane lead to Ettingshall Park Farm which covered
most of this area. Remnants of the farm buildings can still be
seen on the north side of the back gardens in Cranbourne Avenue. This
area, once part of Coseley, was the original Ettingshall.
The area now called Ettingshall seems to have taken over
as the centre when the New Village was built.
EXCHANGE STREET (City Centre)
This was originally a small cul de sac, known as Bird
in Hand Yard, which lead off High Green, to the pub, the Bird
in Hand. When this whole area was replanned and redeveloped in the
late 19th century the yard was driven right through to the new Market
Square and became Exchange Street. It was named after the Exchange
building, which was situated immediately in front of the west end of St
Peter's Church, where the gardens, war memorial and statute of Lady
Wulfruna now stand. It was built between 1850 and 1853 as an
exchange for local merchants but was never successful as such. It
was used as a general public meeting place for concerts and the like but
was eventually pulled down when its inherent structural faults proved
too much for it.