These are the three roads which serve the Science Park.  The Park is built on the site of the old Wolverhampton Gas Works which produced a very might gas which was often used by balloonists.  The roads are named after Henry Coxswell and James Glaisher who, on 5th September 1862, rose from this site to a height of c.30,000 feet, then a world altitude without oxygen (they passed out and nearly died).  After some research it was found that the balloon was called Mammoth.

(Anthony Patten)

GRANGE ROAD, Tettenhall.

Before the enclosure of Tettenhall Wood Common circa 1809 Grange Road was a track discharging onto the common alongside the old farmhouse now known as ‘The Grange’ A grange was strictly an outlying farmstead belonging to a monastic order but despite ‘The Grange’ dating back to the sixteenth century, there is no evidence that it was ever a monastic property. It is more likely that when it ceased to be a farm and became a gentleman’s residence at about the time of the common enclosure, it adopted a then current romantic practice of naming houses ‘Granges’ to give them some social standing. The fact that the owner at the time was a Mr. Henry Grainger may have been an additional motivation.

Following the common enclosure Grange Road was extended at right angles to link up with the new Wood Road near to Tettenhall village, but this extension was cut off in the late 1960’s and renamed Heywood Drive. One unusual feature of Grange Road is that the odd numbers begin at one end and the even numbers at the other end, leading to considerable confusion!

(Keith Cattell)


Graiseley Old Hall is one of the last and certainly the most interesting remnants of Tudor antiquity in the City.  Nicholas Ridley, a merchant of the staple, who died in about 1524, probably built it. His great granddaughter, Rachel Rydley married John Ratton of Mosley in August 1603.  Ratton’s lack of money sense sealed the fate of the estate, which was sold to William Normansell. It would be useful to study the field names since the Graiseley Ward area is about a mile from the Old Hall.  

(Peter Hickman)


Return to the alphabet