LEA ROAD (Penn Fields)
The Lea was originally one of Wolverhampton’s moated manor houses and also
a relic of the Middle Ages as the seat of the Waring Family. Nicholas
Waring’s death is recorded in the Parish register on 24 Nov 1577.
Nicholas Waring was “of the
William Bayley an attorney of Clements Inn had lived there and the Parish
Register records his death on 10th December, describing him
“Mr William Bayley of the Lea”.
The Lea is shown in the Tithe map of 1842 as farmed by a Mr Ash. It was
swallowed up in the development before the 1900s. The site was between
Lea Road and Dalton Street.
LYCH GATES, LICHFIELD STREET (City Centre)
The Anglo- Saxon word ‘lych’ means a corpse or dead body. The Lych Gate
to a church is the place where the hearse stops and the coffin is placed
in the care of the bearers. The Priest walks down from the church to
meet the funeral party and leads them back into the church for the
The street name Lichfield Street is frequently seen close to a church, as
in Wolverhampton and Bilston. This has no connection with Lichfield
Road, the way to the city of Lichfield. Rather the ‘Lich-Field’
Street here means the street passing by the burial ground.
According to Chris Upton, Lichfield Street was originally known as Kem
Street or Kemp Street and had become Lichfield Street by the early 17th
century. The original name was probably derived from a medieval
spelling of "comb", the comb being of the sort used for combing wool -
the Cloth Merchants Hall was on this street.