OLD HEATH ROAD, Stow Heath
Named after the Old Heath Colliery, over which the
road was built in about 1922.
ORMOND PLACE, The Lunt
The bungalows in this road were all designed for old
people. It is named after Ormond Jones. He had been a
professional goalkeeper in East Anglia (either Norwich or Ipswich) and
worked at Wednesbury Tube. He was councillor, alderman and mayor
ORMES LANE, Tettenhall Wood
An old track from Compton Holloway to Tettenhall,
partly superseded when Wood Road was built. It was named after the
‘Orme’ family who resided at the lower end of it, William Orme being
there at the turn of the 18th century.
OWEN ROAD and BRUFORD ROAD Penn Fields
of a house in Richmond Road include the following recitals, which
indicate that these roads were named after Henry Wright Owen and his
decendant Mary Elizabeth Bruford:
Will of John Louis Petit of 9 New Square, Lincoln’s Inn,
Middlesex, (died 1868),
left most of his lands including Old Merridale Farm to his trustees,
Thomas Salt the Elder and the Younger of Stafford, for the benefit of
his wife and 3 sisters.
1870 The Salts sold Old
Merridale Farm to Henry Wright Owen of Compton Hill
1876 Will of Henry Wright
Owen (died 1894) left it to his Trustees, (wife and two sons, later adding his
daughter) with indication to sell for development – and they presumably
1922 Henry Owen and Mary Elizabeth
Bruford, formerly Owen, sold this plot on Richmond Road to Wilfred
Thomas Whitehouse, Railway Clerk of Leicester Street.
OXBARN AVENUE (Penn Fields)
Oxbarn Farm was situated on the present site of Warstones School. The
fields lay between Pinfold Lane and Coalway (Lane) and beyond towards
Bradmore. The lands formed part of the estate of Thomas Higgins Burne,
who let it on a yearly basis to John Tandy. As a tenant farmer Tandy
provided the working capital and stock for his farm. His brother,
Thomas, was the landlord of the Holly Bush Inn; and his father, Henry
Tandy, farmed Penn Wood Farm to the East of St Bartholomews Church. This
is shown on the 1841 Penn tithe map.
In July 1875 the lands were sold by auction at the Swan Inn at
Wolverhampton. In the 1920s the farm then farmed by the Keays was sold
for housing purposes. The Oxbarn Avenue area was developed in the early
1930’s. It occupies the former lands of Oxbarn Farm.