QUEEN SQUARE (City Centre)
Taylor’s map of 1750 has the name High Green for the Town Centre
area. It contained the Town Hall and the Corn Market building at the
eastern end. In 1866 Queen Victoria was invited to visit the town and
unveil the equestrian statue of Prince Albert. To everyone’s delight the
Queen accepted, the occasion was a huge success, High Green was the
centre of the celebration and was renamed Queen Square in her honour.