RED LION STREET (City Centre)
The Red Lion Inn was built in 1697 on the site now occupied by the former
Town Hall. It had a large assembly room and good overnight accommodation
for travellers. With the Swan in High Green it was a principal posting
inn and advertised 12 pairs of horses always available for those using
their own carriages. Red Lion Street accessed the working facilities
situated at the rear of this Inn.