SALOP STREET, City Centre
Shown in early maps as Barn Street. Rev Ames of Bilston describes
a great fire on 10th September 1696, which burnt down most of
that part of the Town as “having started in some harvest hay in the barn
of Mr Stych, which took fire, it being ill gotton in”. The street is
shown named Salop Street in the 1827 map.
Salop Street, before being replaced as the main road by Darlington
Street and then sliced in two by the Ring Road, was the road to
It appears both names were still in use in
1801. The PCC will of Ann Hadley of Wolverhampton, dated 7th
February 1801 (National Archives Catalogue Reference PROB 11/1379)
mentions "...a certain street in Wolverhampton aforesaid called
Salop Street, otherwise Barn Street...
SANDLAND CLOSE, The Lunt
Named after Bill Sandland, a Labour councillor and
Mayor of Bilston.
SCHOOL ROAD, Tettenhall Wood
School Road was built following the enclosure of
Tettenhall Wood Common in 1807 although it was possibly an upgrading of
an existing track connecting The Wergs to Compton. Presumably it only
received its name after Miss Theodosia Hinckes of Tettenhall Wood House,
gave a small parcel of land in 1874 for the building of a small school
near to the cross roads.
SHARMAN ROAD, Low Hill
Named after D. F. Sharman, a Wolverhampton councillor of the 1930s,
who himself lived in the area at Melverton Avenue.
one of a cluster of streets on the estate named after councillors.
In some local authorities it was and continues to be a common practice
to name streets and buildings after local councillors but, mostly,
Wolverhampton did not go in for this from of self-aggrandisement but
Bilston seems to have been more susceptible to
SKIDMORE AVENUE, Birches Barn Estate
Frederick Howard Skidmore was the Chairman of the Town Housing Committee
during the period of purchasing and planning the council house estate at
Birches Barn, Parkfields and Green Lanes, which were among the first in
the country. Alderman Skidmore was Mayor in 1913/14. He died in July
STREET, City Centre
street was created in 1861 and was so called because of a skin and hide
business. In 1802 two tanners, a currier and some tenters are
recorded in Townwell Fold, which came out on to Victoria Street where
Skinner Street now is. These business relied on water's being
available from the town well.
SNOW HILL, City Centre
The 1750 map shows the name Windmill Bank. The name Snow Hill is
on the 1827 map.
SOUTHWEST TOWN BOUNDARY
Goldthorn Hill…Rookery Lane…Stubbs Road….Birches Barn Road…Broad Lane.
The alignment of these roads follows very closely the southern and south
western boundary of the lands granted to Lady Wulfrun by King Aethelred
in AD 985. This boundary still formed the limits of Wolverhampton
Borough until its enlargement in 1966.
On the Tithe map the whole road from the Penn Road to Bradmore is named
Birches Barn Road. On the 1886 map the road is named Stubbs Lane. At
that time the occupant of Birches Barn Farmhouse was George Stubbs. The
former farmhouse is now preserved as number 68. Stubbs Lane is still the
name on the 1901 map.
The ironmaster Mr J W Sparrow, at some time in the 1850s, built the
mansion Beckminster House.
The Tithe map names the field on which Sparrow’s house is built ‘Beckmaster’ and it is evidently from this, rather than any
minster, that the name ‘Beckminster’ derives.
At the Bradmore crossroads the Tithe map describes the field on which the
Bradmore Arms now stands as ‘in Dead lads piece’ a reference perhaps of
a burial in unconsecrated ground.
THE SPINNEY, Finchfield
Originally the name of the large house at the centre of a large estate.
(The Spinney is now a listed building, qv). The name was probably
chosen by the first owner of the house, a Mr. Hall-Jones. When
part of the estate (which seems to have been the garden part) was
developed by John McLean Ltd in the 60s the name was applied to the new
estate and the road through it. The roads off it were given
typical surburban names, based on natural features - which Johnny McLean
is said to have been keen on as a selling point. Thus Birch Glade
was probably named after the silver birches in its area and Walnut
Drive, The Pines, Sycamore Road and Spruce Drive may have been named in
a similar way. The Dingle may have been a dingle in the gardens of
STANTON ROAD, Eastfield
Named after the Reverend Thomas Stanton who was the vicar of St.
Matthews Church between 1923 and 1942. The church stood on the corner of
Horseley Fields and Lower Walsall Street and was demolished in 1964
after crumbling beyond repair due to years of damage caused by the local
STAR STREET, Bradmore
Built by Edward Lisle and his Star car and bicycle
manufacturing company, presumably for his staff. It is not clear
whe it was built this far out, in a very undeveloped area, then still
known as Dead Lad's Grave. Perhaps he hoped that cars and bicycles
would overcome the distance.
SUMMER ROW, City Centre
Summer Row was in existence many years before Cleveland
Street was created. It is possible to read too much into such
things but the word "summer" did mean a pack horse; and a "summer" is
also a horizontal bearing beam or lintel, especially for the support of
roof joists or rafters - maybe there is a connection with what was on