WADHAM'S HILL; WADHAM'S FOLD, City Centre
Hill mostly disappeared when the Ring Road was built but Wadham's Fold
still exists. Who Wadham was is unknown but in 1817 William Pitt,
in his Topographical History of Staffordshire, mentioned that there was
an ancient arched well at Waddam's-hill, called Meg-a-doodle's-well.
WALFORD AVENUE , Birches Barn
Named after Mr William Walford. An area of just over twenty acres,
formerly the site of Merridale Brick Works, was sold to the council by
the Trustees of the late Mr Walton. The site consisted of five large
fields bounded by Jeffcock Road, Bradmore Road, Birches Barn Road. to a
line bounded by the present Little Birches, and Downham Place.
WANDERERS AVENUE, Fighting Cocks
Named after the Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club
(whose roots was in this area) by an enthusiastic developer, celebrating
the Wolves first F A Cup win in 1893. Some of the house names in
this street are those of members of the victorious team. (Another
developer is said to have adorned his new houses in Fallowfield Avenue
with stone replicas of the Cup).
WARSTONES ROAD, Upper Penn
Warstones Road between Coalway (Lane) and Springhill (Lane) is shown on
the 1841 Tithe map as Penstones Lane. Between Springhill Lane and
Lloyd Hill it was called Watery Lane. The road is built over
lower Triassic Keuper pebble beds, which are conducive of springs of
water. Hence Spring Hill. The Keuper beds consist of alternate
marls, conglomerates and pebbles; from these the name ‘Waters Stones’
Warstones (which is a fairly common name in these parts) is a corruption
of Hoarstone or even Whorstone, meaning a boundary stone or other marker
stone. I think it derives from this rather than from ‘watery’.
WATERLOO ROAD, City Centre
This road, the name of which celebrates the victory of the Duke of
Wellington in 1815 at the end of the Napoleonic Wars, is shown on the
1842 map as Wellington Road.
The name was changed to Waterloo by popular request since the nearby
town of Wellington is to the west of the town, not the North.
WELLS ROAD, Penn
Named after Samuel Wells Page who lived in Penn House qv.
WERGS ROAD, The Wergs
In early records the name appears as
Withegas (1202), Wytheges (1306) and Withegis (1237) and derives from
the Old English word withigas, meaning willows. The headwaters of
the river Penk rise in the area. The place name would have been
taken from the willows in the low-lying and marshy land.
(David Horovitz, The Tarmac Papers,
WHEELER'S FOLD, City Centre
A wheeler is a wheel-maker or
wheelwright and this may be the origin of the name. Maybe someone
who was was called Wheeler because his ancestors made wheels was the
source. But it may be a corruption of earlier words. The fold
leads onto what was once called Bury Street, which name suggests
fortification, perhaps by earthworks. The early word for a wall
was "weall" or "wealle". But also the wool trade produced many
settlers from the Welsh Marches. Welsh names appear in the records
in the Middle Ages and, not far away, there was a "Welsh Harp" tavern
until the late 1600s. The early words "Wealas" or or "Weallas" for
the Welsh, and "weales" for foreigners as well as the Welsh are
interesting, as Dutch merchants also appeared here during the time that
the cloth trade played a significant part in the town's economy.
WILKINSON AVENUE, Bradley
Named after John "Iron Mad" Wilkinson
who moved to Bradley in about 1765 and succeeded in using coal to
produce iron. He went on to become one of the biggest iron
producers in the country and was notorious for wanting to use iron for
everything. His original works were near this road but all trace
of them is lost under playing fields.
WILLIS PEARSON AVENUE, Bradley
Willis Pearson was a Conservative
councillor on Bilston Borough Council and this road was named after him.
WOOD ROAD, Tettenhall
Wood Road was built, to connect the village of
Tettenhall to a new crossroads at Tettenhall Wood, following the
enclosure of Tettenhall Wood Common in 1807. It also provided access to
the newly formed plots of land on each side of it, previously common
land, that later provided sites for the large houses built by the
Victorian industrialists.. The road may well follow the line of an old
course used for horse racing, that existed on the common before its
WULFRUN STREET, City Centre
Originally this street was known as Horsefair, almost certainly the part
of the market where horses were traded. It is shown on Isaac
Taylor's map, leading past the Deanery (now the site of the University),
turning sharply north down the side of the Deanery and then sharply west
to meet Goat or Tup Street (now North Street). But when did the
name change to Wulfrun Street?
WYNN ROAD (Between Penn Road and Coalway Road) WYNN CRESCENT (Springhill)
The Rev Charles Wynn was Vicar of Penn 1646 to 1669. He owned Steeples
Farm at Edvin Loach in Worcestershire. Upon his death this was left to
his brother and sister for their lifetimes. Afterwards trustees were
appointed to provide a school for the children of Penn. This school was
founded in 1714. The site
chosen was near the top of Springhill Lane, close to the present Wynn
When in 1871 this accommodation became inadequate, the
school was moved closer to St Bartholomew’s Church. It required further
enlargement in 1877. At that time there were approximately 100 pupils
and it was known as the Penn Wynn Schools. Today the School is St
Bartolomew’s CofE School. Down the years it has bee the custom to
provide school leavers with bibles inscribed as Penn Wynn Bibles