1800 to 1849
Price of Wheat in Wolverhampton Market reached 21s. per bushel.
2,532 houses in Wolverhampton with a population of 12,565.
Union and Commercial Canal Wharfs and Warehouses in Horseley Fields established about this time.
Court of Requests established.
Wolverhampton Chronicle, second series, first published.
The Dean of Wolverhampton empowered to grant licenses for opening and working mines within the manor, for any period not exceeding fifty years.
2,935 houses in Wolverhampton.
The population reached 14,832.
Price of wheat in Wolverhampton Market reached 25s. per bushel.
Union Flour and Bread Mill in Horseley Fields established at a cost of £14,000.
Queen Street Chapel erected about this time.
Dr. Hobart made Dean of Wolverhampton. At his death in 1846 the deanery ended.
The Bible Society was established in the town.
Great depression in trade throughout the kingdom; particularly in Wolverhampton and its neighbourhood.
The new Burial Ground, belonging to the Collegiate Church, consecrated.
10th July. The Dispensary, our first town centre hospital opened in Queen Street.
Darlington Street first opened.
Messrs. Thorneycroft's Iron Works, and Pickford and Co.'s Canal Wharf, in Walsall Street, established about this time. Thorneycroft's Works closed in 1877.
The "Whipping House" in Stafford Street, abolished.
Gas lighting was installed in the town.
James Hordern appointed High Sheriff.
8th June. 0dd Fellows, M.U., Wolverhampton District, established.
Wesleyan Chapel in Darlington Street erected and opened in August 1825.
The racecourse opened and the Grand Stand was erected in 1827.
St. George's Church and Burial Ground completed and consecrated in 1830.
Cleveland Road finished.
Mechanics' Library instituted.
The population of the town reached 24,732.
The National Schools in Cleveland Street established.
The first service took place in the Unitarian Chapel on Snow Hill.
William Cobbett, the noted political writer, delivered a course of lectures on the state of the country.
August. A great storm occurred during the races. Booths were washed down and people removed from the course in waggons.
21st December. A troop of 7th Hussars and three companies of the 85th Foot, under Captain Hunt were stationed in the town to control striking miners.
Cholera took many lives in Wolverhampton, Bilston, Tipton and the surrounding country.
The Blue Coat Charity School was rebuilt at an expense of £400.
The town was first enfranchised and ordered to return two members to the House of Commons. The successful candidates were W.W. Whitmore and Richard Fryer. Their unsuccessful opponents were F. Holyoake and T. Nicholson.
British and Infant Schools were established.
St. Paul's Church was erected.
January. Hon. C. P. Villiers and Thomas Thornley were returned as M.Ps for the town.
4th July. The Grand Junction Railway opened and Wolverhampton had its first railway station at Wednesfield Heath.
The Police Force first established with Richard Castle as superintendent.
Collegiate Church newly pewed and the whole interior thoroughly repaired.
The Union Workhouse completed and the old one converted into temporary barracks.
3rd January. The wooden cross on the tower of the Collegiate Church was set on fire by lightning.
15th October. St. Mary's Church consecrated.
St. James's Church consecrated by the Archbishop of York. The first minister appointed was the Rev. Thomas Bromley.
Alfred Hinde's Business established on Snow Hill.
The Theatre Royal in Cleveland Road was built and the old theatre at the back of the Swan Hotel converted into stables etc.
St. George's School Rooms built.
October. Wolverhampton Waterworks Company was established.
April. Water first supplied from Tettenhall waterworks.
New Police Station and Law Offices in Garrick Street opened.
The foundation stone of the General Hospital in Cleveland Road laid.
The School Rooms, belonging to the Collegiate Church were erected in Craddock's Walk, adjoining the Churchyard. The School was demolished and the site transferred to the Corporation in 1903.
The Act of Parliament was passed allowing the building of the General Cemetery.
The Athenaeum in Queen Street established.
Wolverhampton Law Society founded.
15th March. Wolverhampton was incorporated and B. Thorneycroft elected as the first mayor. Thomas Walker was town clerk.
The lands, rents, and other endowments of the Collegiate Church became vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and the ancient parish divided into 16 church districts or clerical parishes which were constituted as vicarages.
The Mayoral Chair and Civic Mace were presented to Corporation.
1st January. The South Staffordshire General Hospital opened in Cleveland Road.
9th April. (Easter Monday) The Orphan Asylum was established.
27th July. First Commission of Peace granted.
St. Mark's Church completed.
St. Matthew's Church consecrated.
The Cattle Market was completed and opened.
The Shrewsbury and Birmingham Railway was completed.
Cases of Cholera reoccurred the town.
The new Stafford Road Gas Works were completed.
The first service was held at the Congregational Church on Snow Hill. The church had been built at a cost of £6,500.
The High Level Railway Station was erected.
The Subscription Baths first opened.
The General Cemetery opened, and public interments in churchyards prohibited.