Local Listing: Locally listed in 2004. A large,
two-storey, detached, purpose-built vicarage, built in 1897 to
the design of W. J. H. Weller. Later works by this
architect have been inlcuded in the statutory list ....
Baron's Court on Goldthorn Hill ... has been added to the local
list. It [this vicarage] is built of red brick with stone
dressings and a red clay plain tile roof with brick stacks.
The main entrance is facing the church beneath a gothic stone
Comment: The local listing details appear in the
appraisal for the Tettenhall Road Conservation Area, in which
this house stands.
This building was mentioned on this site under our entry for
St Jude's Church, as follows:
Dr. John Thomas reports that the vicarage next door (which is
in plain red brick) was built in 1897. It is an early work
of W. J. H. Weller. At that time he was apprenticed to
John Weller II and seems to have lived opposite at 12 Tettenhall
Road. It may be that Bidlake provided a rectory when the
church was built and this one replaced it.
||Since then this photo, in Eric Woolley's
"Wolverhampton in Old Picture Postcards" has been
noticed. The building on the right seems to be a
very substantial vicarage and is presumably that which
Bidlake provided. It is in brick with stone
dressings. Why was it replaced? Were there
The building is no longer a vicarage and is in use as