Listing: Locally listed in 2004. Coronation Park was originally
known as Memorial Park and was opened in 1922 as a memorial to the fallen of the
First World War. Land acquired by public subscription in 1920.
Polished granite war memorial in simple Celtic cross style is located on
prominent high ground in the SE. The park is of interest as it preserves
remnants of the former mining landscape of the area, including remains of slag
Comment: This park is on Wilkinson Avenue (not Street).
The memorial - which is not the only one of this type, there being another at
Ettingshall - is for Bradley. It is on a small, high hill which is
probably mostly a slag heap. It has good views from it.
Wilkinson Avenue is named after John "Iron Mad" Wilkinson, who established
his furnace very near here. But the site of his works is now buried deep
under school playing fields. So this park and slag heap is the nearest we
get to a physical reminder of him.