The property was built in 1914 as part
of a short terrace and an offset shopfront was added at a slightly later
date to the corner property. This shopfront survives intact and is one
of very few early historic shopfronts to survive in the city. Largely
glazed with curved glazing to the corner, the structure retains a
majority of its original fixtures and fittings, including awning chains
and props, although some of the timber sections are in poor condition.
This is a rare survivor and is a local landmark being set on a prominent
corner on one of the main routes into the city centre.
Comment: Built as part of the slow and
piecemeal development of Blakenhall. The land alongside Dudley
Road was, in the main, developed first. Development moved out from
the Wolverhampton end until, at about this point, it started to tie up
with older development around the Fighting Cocks. The whole area
is currently the subject of any number of schemes all aimed at
re-vitalising a run down district. This amazing survivor is just
the sort of thing that is needed to give the area a sense of place,
history and identity. It needs rescuing.