Listing: Locally listed in 2004. Large detached villa, Arts and
Crafts style of c.1895. Hipped, tiled roof with canted timber belvedere,
accessed through recessed french windows, upper lights leaded. Brick with
stone dressings and rendered panels. Left-hand gable, right-hand two
storey canted bay.
Comment: One of a number of large villas in this area of town.
They were presumably built to take advantage of the fact that the area lies
between the town centre and West Park. In order to make the park the
marshy land had to be drained and that alone would have made this area
considerably more desirable for residential purposes than it would have been
otherwise. And when these houses were built West Park would not longer
have been new and raw but would have been maturing quite nicely.