Wolverhampton's Locally Listed Buildings

St. Joseph's Convent

Sandy Lane, Tettenhall

Listing:  Sandy Lane in Aldersley was first developed for residential purposes in the late 19th century and the first property to appear on it was a villa built for the local industrialist Benjamin Davis Rollings. Benjamin D Rollings was a partner in The Star Cycle Company with his brother in law Edward Lisle who lived at The Oaklands on Tettenhall Green. The company built a car, the Star Benz, in 1898. The convent building was known both as 'Almeda' and Danesbury House and in the 1950s was bought by the Roman Catholic Church and a priest ministered from it. In 1957 it was handed over to the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Tarbes who opened a school. In 2004 the school closed completely and the site has been the subject of a planning permission for residential properties, however the Sisters continue to live there for the present and 'Almeda' or Danesbury House remains largely unaltered from its time of building. Its elegance and its historical associations meet the criteria for it to be included on the Local List.

Comment:  This house was originally identified and researched by Brian Rollings, whose family history, giving much information on the background of this house, can be found here, on this web site. The house was built by Benjamin Rollings for his own use.  He was not only a backer of Star cars but principally was a successful local master builder.

The Sisters of St. Joseph were nuns who call came from India.  The school was a successful and well regarded school for infants and juniors.  The original gardens of the house, which were very extensive, were used as playing fields.  It is that area which has now obtained planning permission for residential development, much to the disgust of the local people, who have strong views on the effect of increased traffic on the narrow Sandy Lane.