Wolverhampton's Locally Listed Buildings

Bushbury Arms

Showell Circus, Bushbury

Listing:  Purpose built large public house constructed to serve the community on the new Low Hill estate.  Built in 1928, extended 1930.  Architect: C. Hutchings, for Springfield Brewery.  Exterior largely unaltered and internal subdivisions survive. Locally Listed, approved November 2001.

Comment:  The Low Hill Estate was one of several built in this immediate area by the Borough Council.  The building standards were good, the houses were of a decent size and plot sizes, by today's standards, vast.  The road layout, and the amount of space occupied by roads, looks surprising today and one wonders if, even at the time, walking distances had been properly considered.  The estates won awards. 

This Tudor style roadhouse is redolent of its time - its time being not Tudor but early 20th century (and its place was Wolverhampton, a town which embraced mock Tudor with some enthusiasm).