Wolverhampton's Locally Listed Buildings

Combermere Arms

Chapel Ash

Listing:   The Combermere Arms occupies part of a terrace built originally as dwellings in circa 1850 and converted to a beerhouse very shortly afterwards (circa 1860).  It is constructed of red brick under a natural slate roof with substantial brick chimneys.  It has a central entrance accessing a through corridor serving three small bar areas ‑ one each to left and right at the front and one to the right at the rear. The original timber vertically sliding sash windows survive. The building is a rare survivor of a beerhouse forming an integral part of a residential terrace with the original internal layout intact.

Comment:  Part of a pretty terrace the other part of which has been nicely restored for offices.  The terrace is officially in Chapel Ash though it looks as if it ought to be in Tettenhall Road.  This pub has a courtyard at the rear containing the lavatories; the Gents is remarkable for having a large tree growing right through it.  The pub and its cause are much furthered by the local branch of CAMRA.  And they are right.  It is a good old fashioned pub, serving good beer.