Clock Tower: 1895. Possibly by Dan Gibson.
Polished granite plaque to north east records erection as memorial
to J. Lysaght by employees of Swan Garden and Osier Bed Ironworks.
The park was laid out by T. H. Mawson with work by Dan Gibson.
East Park: Second public park created by Wolverhampton Council in
1895-6. Design by Borough Surveyor with assistance from Thomas Mawson.
The Lodge, gates, gate piers and curtain walls. Original features of East Park. 1895-6. Architect: Dan
|The first public park in Wolverhampton was West
Park. East Park seems to have been created to balance up
the provision of parks.
Originally it was miles from anywhere and was created
on industrial wasteland. Its large lake constantly
leaked and was filled in.
|There is now a paddling pool. The park is now
surrounded by more housing that it ever has been and is therefore probably more
useful than it ever has been. It has survived the years and its vicissitudes
Through the main gates one enters upon a very fine avenue of
mature trees, on each side of which is a football pitch; these pitches must be
in the most decorative setting of any in the town.
Bandstand: Original feature of East Park. 1896. Rare
surviving example of a cast iron Victorian bandstand.
||Read Sue Whitehouse's
article about the building
of our parks
Note that the Park itself and as a whole is locally listed - something which
you can't do on the national list.