Listing: Late Victorian works with 1930s
extensions. Cycle works on 1903 OS map. Landmark and
historic interest. Locally Listed, approved November 2001.
Comment: These, and the Tower Works
(otherwise known as the Ashes works) opposite, were the Clyno works. Clyno bought them from the Stevens
Motor Manufacturing Company. The building
incorporates the original Humber cycle factory. Clyno greatly
extended the factory. Since Clyno moved out in 1929
the extensions are likely to be 1920s rather than 1930s. Later on
these works and the Tower Works were owned by Midland Metal Spinning and
their Tower and Presto domestic utensils were made here. At one time
more non-stick pans were made here than in the rest of the UK put
Tower and Fort works are both of considerable importance
to industrial history and both ought to be listed.