Wolverhampton's Locally Listed Buildings

Hickman Park

Wolverhampton Street, Bilston

Listing: First public park created by Bilston Council

Comment: The park was opened in 1911. It covers and area of about 12 1/2 acres of land, donated by the family of Sir Alfred Hickman M.P. after his death in 1910. This park has played an important role in Bilston's life, having been the scene of many local special events such as carnivals and flower shows, as well as being a fine recreational resource. (Ron Davies and Roy Hawthorne, Bilston, Bradley and Ladymoor, Sutton Publishing, 2000, at p. 46)

A plaque on the building shown in the photo reads: "Borough of Bilston. This open air theatre, the generous gift of the Bilston Horticultural Society, was given into the custody of the Borough Council on Wed. 22nd. June 1938". In many ways it typifies the community feeling in Bilston.

Now (mid-2004) the city council proposes to do something about the park which is beginning to look rather tired.  Consultants who have produced proposals which consist mainly of restoration and enhancement of existing featured.

Read Sue Whitehouse's article about the building
of our parks