Listing: Corner part of a large building
constructed in 1885 for the South Staffordshire Regiment.
Architect unknown. Additions and alterations to 1st and 2nd floors
in 1924. Traded as the Vine Hotel until 1983 when it was converted
to office and use but reverted to a public house in 1998. Landmark
building on a prominent town centre corner site with terracotta
detailing externally and surviving decorated leaded glass features
inside. Locally Listed, approved November 2001.
Comment: We would be interested to see the
evidence that this building was built for the South Staffs Regiment,
whose drill hall is next door.
The restoration of 1998, during which the whole of the
exterior was relieved of years of grime, returned to the town a
sparkling and wonderfully detailed contribution to the townscape. The interior is a re-creation of a traditional bare boards style though
they stop short of sawdust on the floor. This is not the place to
mention that they serve a wide range of good beers