Listing: There has been brewing
at Park Brewery at the end of Lovatt Street, formerly Clarence Place, since
1875. Bank's Brewery (otherwise known as The Wolverhampton and Dudley
Breweries Plc) was formed out of a merger of three local brewing businesses on
14 May 1890 and today is a major contributor to Wolverhampton's local identity.
This functional four storey plus basement industrial building is the best
preserved late 19th century building of Park Brewery.
Comment: The Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries PLC changed it
name in early 2007 to Marston's, to reflect the fact that it is no
longer a local brewery but a very big regional one. The company
now owns Marston's brewery in Burton but this was its home and the
traditional beers brewed here were the foundation of its success.
One day this web site will contain a history of the company, which is of
commercial and social importance in the history of the city. It
would be a pity to lose this reminder of the Banks's story.