Wolverhampton's Locally Listed Buildings

1 Bank House
(St. Mark's Vicarage)
Chapel Ash

Listing:  Former vicarage to St. Mark's church, now offices of Barclays Bank.  Historic and architectural interest.  Group value. Locally listed November 2001.

Comment:  The photo above shows the vicarage from Chapel Ash.  On the left is a wall and buttress of St. Marks; and the right is the side wall of Barclay's Bank.  St. Mark's was built 1848-49 and so were St. Mark's Schools.  Presumably the vicarage was built at the same time.

This head on view of the frontage may be of some help in guessing whether or not 1849 is the date for it.  In any event, it is large, solid, imposing - and a bit odd.

The building has a further claim to fame in that it was the childhood home of  K. G. Hunt (later, the Revered K. G. Hunt), whose father was the vicar of St. Marks.

Hunt was one of the most famous footballers of his time, not only scoring the first goal in Wolverhampton Wanderers' famous cup victory in 1897, but also gaining international honours, including an Olympic gold medal. 

Later he became a school master and a founder of Pegasus Football Club.  He was one of the last Corinthians.