Listing: K6 telephone kiosk. Now
rare survivor in the borough. Locally Listed, approved March 2000.
Comment: A perfectly standard K6 telephone
kiosk, first introduced in 1936. 60,000 of them were erected
throughout the UK. This one appears to be pre-1956, when a slight
change was made to the area of the crown and cypher; the change
allowed the Scottish crown and cypher to replace "EIIR". The
replacement for the K6 was not the K7 (which never went into production)
but the K8 (with a flat roof and no glazing bars). K6's were
replaced at a tremendous rate. Survivors are rare and most of them are
in country parts where they are kept mainly because people think they
look traditional. Urban specimens like this are very rare.
(The eyelet sticking out of the top left corner in the picture was
originally provided for bringing the overhead wire into the box). These
are the boxes which, when replaced, were sold off in great numbers and
converted to many and various uses. (For the K6 box generally, see Niel
Johannessen, Telephone Boxes, Shire Publications, 1999).