Listing: 1895. Northern Renaissance style.
Comment: Once the head post office, with a large and impressive hall
inside. Continued in use for postal services for many years after the
1960s steel frame head post office was opened next door. Eventually
sold and refurbished as offices and teaching rooms, and let to the University,
who used it until 2007. The
building carries one of Wolverhampton's biggest displays of terracotta
Angella Strelluk has found a reference to the building in Building News, 30th
November 1894, which gives the architect as Mr. H. Tanner of Leeds and refers to
"the terracotta from Ruabon". And Noszlopy and Waterhouse, in their
Public Sculpture of Staffordshire and the Black Country, say "the royal
arms, supporters and decorations are "carvings by Dennis Ruabon, 1897".