Listing: House, now offices. mid C19.
Plaque: George Benjamin Thorneycroft, 1791-1851, First Mayor of
Wolverhampton, 1848, lived here.
Comment: This fine gentleman's residence is now used as offices.
The primrose yellow might not be authentic, but whether it is or isn't, it looks
splendid. When built it was on the outskirts of Wolverhampton, on the
fashionable way to Tettenhall, and was the residence of the iron master and his
family. It may have been named after Lord Salisbury, a politician.
When the Thorneycrofts lived there it was known as Chapel House. A wing was added
on either side, and it was later divided into two to form
Granville House and Salisbury House. As the children got
older, George built ‘Summerfield’ in the grounds of Chapel
House as a home for his daughter Mary. After her marriage,
two of her sisters, Emma and Ellen began their married life there.